Welcome visit or first appointment is when we meet and get to know each
other. It's the time to learn about your goals and how you feel about
your smile and teeth. At this visit, there is a comprehensive dental examination
and a full mouth set of x-rays (unless requested differently). Usually
a cleaning (prophylaxis) is performed.
Homer Glen Dentist of 23 years,
Mary Ellen Hoye DDS
708-301-3444 will provide a comprehensive dental exam
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr. Hoye at your initial
dental visit. At regular check-up exams, she will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection
of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth
and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat,
tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer or any abnormal warning
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for
any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for
decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns,
Updates in progress - check back soon!
Professional Dental Cleaning
- Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Insurance Forms and Information
Your Dental Benefits
These forms are in pdf format, if you are unable to open the documents, please link to http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html to download the free reader software.